Happiness and contentment in life come from the merging of Opportunity and Talent. My Dad had Talent but no Opportunity so could not find a way to learn to play the Violin. I had Opportunity but no Talent -- I lack the physical ability to complete a Thru Hike of the Appalachian Trail. I failed to learn this lesson even after numerous section hikes, but in the Spring of 2013, after 41.6 miles hiking in MD and PA, I learned the lesson that Dad had in mind when he told me to "hike the Trail." This Blog is now about the Merging of Opportunity and Talent more than it is about hiking the Appalachian Trail, but I still plan to include snippets of the Trail in the Blog. It's about Chasing the Trail of Life. I hope you enjoy my posts.

COMPUTER TRESPASS---RCW 9A.52.110---Computer trespass in the first degree.

(1) A person is guilty of computer trespass in the first degree if the person, without authorization, intentionally gains access to a computer system or electronic database of another; and (a) The access is made with the intent to commit another crime; or (b) The violation involves a computer or database maintained by a government agency.

(2) Computer trespass in the first degree is a class C felony.

This Blog is Dedicated to my Dad. Although he never accomplished his dream of learning to play the Violin, he did construct and play a Dulcimer at an Elderhostel.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Shopping at REI

REI is not sending out its dividends until the middle of March. But I'm in Baltimore and REI is close by now ... so I went to 'try on' some packs. 

Whale [Southern for "Well"] ... I ended up getting an REI Flash 45 Pack ... it only comes in 'Men's size' ... MEDIUM. And I bought the Therm-a-Rest Z-Rest Lite SOL sleeping pad [R value 2.6], a  Cocoon Silk Mummy Liner, six MSR Mini Ground Hog Stakes and a 96 fluid ounce Nalgene Wide Mouth Cantene.  

Remeasured my back after the "medium" pack fit so well ... I'm not 15" after all. I'm 17" which was a surprise because I've 'always' been told I was 15". Been measured at Mountain Crossings and told I was 15". [Not to disparage Mountain Crossings Outfitter at all, but just to suggest that you "measure twice, buy once."]   [I suddenly thought I was in that Prego commercial where the actress says "I wonder what other questionable choices I made."]  I tried on other packs, but the only one that 'felt' right with 25 pounds in it was the REI Flash Men's Pack. It weighs in at 2 pounds. I will be able to cut off some of the excess webbing and bring the weight down a few ounces. The padding doesn't press hard against my spine or push against the muscles on either side of my spine. It's configured in a way that doesn't cause my back to spasm. All the 'flat' packs with the HDPE sheet cause excruciating pain. And the mesh backpads equal pain. 

So now all I need is my shoes, which will be the hardest to find with my needing an obscenely wide forefoot [3 3/4"], square toe-box and high volume shoe. Tried on a men's size 7 and it squeezed my forefoot. 

I still need a sleeping bag. Gonna get the  GoLite Women's Z10 unless someone has a suggestion. The other options I like are the REI Women's Flash or Women's Joule. Flash sleeping bag is probably not going to be warm enough and I'm not planning on buying two sleeping bags. 

OH, I did get a $20 gift coupon for spending "$100 or more." Going to use it and my Dividend and the 20% off coupon which will come with the Dividend on a Thule car top carrier for the kayaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment