Happiness and contentment in life come from the merging of Opportunity and Talent. My Dad had Talent but no Opportunity so could not find a way to learn to play the Violin. I had Opportunity but no Talent -- I lack the physical ability to complete a Thru Hike of the Appalachian Trail. I failed to learn this lesson even after numerous section hikes, but in the Spring of 2013, after 41.6 miles hiking in MD and PA, I learned the lesson that Dad had in mind when he told me to "hike the Trail." This Blog is now about the Merging of Opportunity and Talent more than it is about hiking the Appalachian Trail, but I still plan to include snippets of the Trail in the Blog. It's about Chasing the Trail of Life. I hope you enjoy my posts.

COMPUTER TRESPASS---RCW 9A.52.110---Computer trespass in the first degree.

(1) A person is guilty of computer trespass in the first degree if the person, without authorization, intentionally gains access to a computer system or electronic database of another; and (a) The access is made with the intent to commit another crime; or (b) The violation involves a computer or database maintained by a government agency.

(2) Computer trespass in the first degree is a class C felony.

This Blog is Dedicated to my Dad. Although he never accomplished his dream of learning to play the Violin, he did construct and play a Dulcimer at an Elderhostel.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Pack on Pre-Hike Hike Number Two

On Thursday, I took another pre-hike hike ... in the misty rain. Temperature was again 48* and my pack now weighed 22.4 pounds. I left the house a minute to one and I returned an hour and thirty five minutes later. I cut my time by 10 minutes, although that was not the goal. The goal was to strengthen my legs for my AT Hike.

Friday, I had a doctor's appointment for a shot of steroid [dexamethasone with lidocaine]. As it turned out, the arthritis was so 'thick' [for want of a better term] in the inside of my left knee that the Physician's Assistant had to place the injection from the outside ... yes it hurt when she pushed through to the meniscus. 

However, I also learned that there is a new technique for rebuilding the meniscus that I will be referred to after I return from my hike.

I went shopping for my backpacking meals after I saw the doctor and came up with an array of foods which I spent the rest of the afternoon and after supper sorting and boxing. My boxes weigh from just over ten pounds [Monson, ME to Abol Bridge Campground through the 100 Mile Wilderness] to 4.6 for my mail drop in Port Clinton, PA. I'm quite satisfied with these weights. I have solid food plus a 'whey-soy-milk' drink for supper time which will help in restoring and rebuilding my muscles. I've done a lot of reading on the subject and I believe that this will help me stay healthy on the Trail.

I've had some problems falling asleep and last night I was awake all night. But I also spent the time thinking about my gear ... and realized where I can drop a few ounces and pick up an ounce. I don't need to take my gloves, for instance, but I will send them to me when I get to Sherburne Pass, VT.

Also, I will be 'bear bagging' the PVC Method" and I will try to get my son to make me a small piece of PVC for this style bear bagging.

Today, Saturday, I'm headed to REI in Nashville, TN, with my granddaughter. I have til tomorrow to use my 20% off coupon and I have just over $16 in a dividend. I'm going to purchase a Pack Cover and some Seam Grip and potentially a day pack and a pack it cube which one Thru Hiker suggests is a great Bear Bag ... it's translucent, so you can see what you're looking for without having to dump the entire bag out. I'm going to look at it to see if it's worthy of a purchase.

Well, here it is, nearly time to get up. After we get back from REI, I'll be doing my Third Pre-Hike Hike with a Full Pack.

Sunday, is the day I'm going to put Permethrin on my clothes and shoes and Tyvek ground cloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment