Happiness and contentment in life come from the merging of Opportunity and Talent. My Dad had Talent but no Opportunity so could not find a way to learn to play the Violin. I had Opportunity but no Talent -- I lack the physical ability to complete a Thru Hike of the Appalachian Trail. I failed to learn this lesson even after numerous section hikes, but in the Spring of 2013, after 41.6 miles hiking in MD and PA, I learned the lesson that Dad had in mind when he told me to "hike the Trail." This Blog is now about the Merging of Opportunity and Talent more than it is about hiking the Appalachian Trail, but I still plan to include snippets of the Trail in the Blog. It's about Chasing the Trail of Life. I hope you enjoy my posts.

COMPUTER TRESPASS---RCW 9A.52.110---Computer trespass in the first degree.

(1) A person is guilty of computer trespass in the first degree if the person, without authorization, intentionally gains access to a computer system or electronic database of another; and (a) The access is made with the intent to commit another crime; or (b) The violation involves a computer or database maintained by a government agency.

(2) Computer trespass in the first degree is a class C felony.

This Blog is Dedicated to my Dad. Although he never accomplished his dream of learning to play the Violin, he did construct and play a Dulcimer at an Elderhostel.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A True Story or "Why I didn't finish my hike in 2009"

This is a true story I just shared with AWOL of the famous The AT Guide.
I let the Trail beat me up in 2009 ... actually, I had a 'near death' experience at Devil's Racecourse Shelter in Maryland. My foot went into a hole, the rocks closed around my leg above my ankle, I dropped my toilet supplies, grabbed my leg and did a "Hap Ki Do" type roll, as I was in the process of grabbing my leg and rolling, I went 'out of body' and was watching myself from above about 20 feet or so, laying on the rocks with my leg broken at the shin, bones protruding and blood gushing into the hole where my shoe and foot were stuck. I went into the roll and the rocks released my ankle, allowing my foot and shoe to come out of the hole. The rocks then closed back onto themselves. I 'tested' the area looking for the 'trap' but wasn't willing to put too much pressure on the rocks. I never found the place again and I avoided the area. 
When I calmed down, I talked myself out of staying on the Trail.
This year's hiking plan was to hike with a friend so she could finish her AT Section hike and get her 2000 Miler Certificate from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. As it turned out, she was told she had ruptured a disk and needed neck surgery. I am hoping she was able to arrange it and can join me on this hike. Because basically, I wouldn't be hiking if "we" had not planned to hike together. In the meantime, this "Half-A-Thru" has taken on a life of its own.  If I was planning to Half-A-Hike on my own, I'd probably hike from Maryland to Georgia or Georgia to Maryland.  [What I deem the 'easy' half.]

Right this minute, I'm obsessing and panicked over my mail drops. I finally got them boxed up and I'm 'missing' a mail drop because I consolidated a couple and I'm having to change one. I'm just not into "pricey" hostel stays. I'm from the South. When we pay $77 plus tax for a room, it's a private room with a private bath.

Okay, deep breaths. Tomorrow I leave all my mail drop boxes here and drive to my Mom's in Baltimore ... on Saturday I get my wonderful massage from a Massage Therapist ... and then on the 4th of May, I head out from Gathland State Park.

Deep breaths ... hold ... exhale. Rinse and Repeat. Okay, hold the Rinse.

Psalm 119:133 Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment